QuickBooks Desktop Pro is the entry-level version of QuickBooks for the PC, and has most of the features any small business needs to run their accounting; however, depending on the industry and specific operations-related needs of the business, they could consider looking into Premier, Accountant, and Enterprise editions.
Features are available in the QuickBooks Premier and above version, but not the QuickBooks Pro
- Sales Orders: Sales Orders are used to create an internal control of approved orders or approved estimates, but do not post into sales; the key element of the sales order is the backorder. A Backorder is a way to reserve or the inventory if it is in stock or commits it so when it gets received.
- Creating purchase orders straight from estimates or sales orders. This allows the user to use the item information already found on a “pre-sale” worksheet such as an estimate and sales order to create a purchase order using the preferred vendors assigned to the items
- Inventory Center, is a center dedicated to helping the user quickly analyze or identify all transactions that involve a particular inventory item.
- Sales Order Fulfillment Worksheet is a module that allows the user to preview all fulfillable sales orders based on inventory quantities and can batch print pick tickets and/or packing slips.
- QuickBooks Business Planner is a built-in tool based on Atlas Business Solutions, Inc’s Ultimate Business Planner. A simple tool that can create very comprehensive Business Plans and it can take the data straight from your QuickBooks file to reduce data entry of financial data.
- 10 additional Sample files encompassing these industries: non-profit, contractor, manufacturing, wholesale/distribution, consulting, engineering firm, graphic design/advertising, law firm, retail with summary sales from POS system, retail with detailed sales in QuickBooks. QuickBooks Pro includes a general Product and general Service sample file only.
- Industry Specific Reports specific for these industries: Contractor, Manufacturing and Wholesale, Professional Services, Retail, and Non-Profit.
- Billing Rate Levels is to have custom service item rates for different employees and vendors, so you can charge different rates for an employee based on the service rendered, all while using the same sales item in invoices, but performed by different employees or vendors.
- Forecasts, this adds another dimension to Budgets with their own reports.
- Per item price levels let you set custom prices for items that are associated with different customers or jobs. QuickBooks Pro has fixed percentage price levels only.
- Inventory Assembly as defined by Intuit: “An inventory assembly item is one type of line items used when creating a sales or purchase form. Assembly items combine inventory part items and other assembly items (subassemblies) into a single item. Define a Bill of Materials to list the assembly item’s component parts. Include costs associated with building the assembly item by adding non-inventory part items, service items, and “other charge” items to the Bill of Materials.” Creating and adding assembly items to inventory is a two-step process. You first define the Bill of Materials (Also only available in Premier or above editions) that specifies what components go into making the assembly item, and then you build a certain quantity of the assembly item so QuickBooks can deduct the component parts from inventory and add new quantities of the assembled item. In other words, as soon as you build an assembly item, it’s component parts no longer exist as separate parts in inventory because they have become part of a new inventory item called an assembly.
- Batch Invoicing: create an invoice you want to send to multiple or even all customers with the same items in a single batch. Customers can be grouped into Billing Groups.
- Invoice from Time & Expenses it to let you invoice customers with unbilled time and expenses directly from a single list. You can view subtotals of your unbilled time and expenses for each customer, filter the list by date, sort your results, and select which customers to bill.
- Balance Sheet by Class Report. Pro version can do Profit & Loss by Class, but not Balance Sheet
- Current Availability window is a preview of the current availability of inventory. (based on quantity on hand, minus quantity on backorder from sales orders)
- Change Order is a note with a timestamp of changes made to an estimate.
- Previous Reconciliation Reports, unlimited history of previous reports from reconciliations. QuickBooks Pro will only have the last report reconciled.
- Multiple Units of Measure allows you to for example: buy by the dozen and sell by the unit.
- 1-Click Reverse Journal Entry, creates a journal entry with opposing debits and credits on the next day of the original Journal Entry.
- Job Costing Center, one worksheet to review all Job Costing related functions. Only available when installing as Contractor Edition.
- Work with Min and Max inventory levels for restocking control (Pro only works with Min levels)
- Auto Copy Ship-To Address: This is great for companies converting Sales Orders to Purchase orders with DROP SHIP.
All features in Pro and Premier are included in the Accountant Edition, plus
- Batch Enter Transactions: You can add Checks, Credit Card Charges, Deposits, Invoices/Credit Memos, and Bills/Bill Credits from an excel spreadsheet with a quick copy/paste style function.
- Batch Delete Transactions: This feature allows you delete or void transactions in a batch.
- Batch Reclassify Transactions to reclassify the account incorrectly categorized transactions in batch, also allows to reclassify classes in batch.
- Create Period Copy works great for audits with limited time periods.
- Work with 2 files simultaneously.
- Client Data Review is the fastest way to write off invoices, fix open balances, fix undeposited funds, fix sales tax, and troubleshoot inventory issues.
- Fixed Asset Manager to calculate depreciation from Fixed Item List.
- Add Comments to Reports allows you to add a comment to reports.
- Statement Writer allows to create custom, compliant, and financial reports.
Accounts who receive their client’s QuickBooks file, have these features.
- Receive Accountants Copy make changes and send changes back to the client.
- Toggle to any version of QuickBooks to be able to “see what their clients see” (Accountant, Pro, or Premier any of the industry editions: Contractor, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Retail, Professional Services, and Nonprofit).
- Send Journal Entries to clients that send the accountant a copy of the QuickBooks file.
- Client Collaborator feature allows you to send client notes or questions about specific transactions and clients will receive them in their QuickBooks file. Accountants and users keep track of all notes. Will need to have an Intuit login to update via the “cloud”.
Comparing QuickBooks price points
|# of Users||QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019||QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2019||QuickBooks Desktop Accountant 2019|
|1||$ 184.95||$ 324.95||$ 399.96|
|2||$ 319.95||$ 499.95|
|3||$ 454.95||$ 754.95||$ 1119.96|
|5||n/a||$ 1124.95||$ 1199.96|
QuickBooks Enterprise Silver has all the features of QuickBooks Accountant plus
- Advanced user Permissions and Restrictions allow for over 100 individual functions can be toggled for users.
- Ability to upgrade to 6-30 Simultaneous users. The number of user licenses has an incremental cost, ranging from 1-user at $924 to 30-user at $6,367.38. Also monthly subscriptions available at discounted rates.
- Consolidate multiple QuickBooks files to create a combined report in Excel.
- More Custom fields and the ability to create drop-down custom fields to restrict the user to specific data entry choices.
- ODBC connector for easy data export into Microsoft Access and other ODBC compliant database systems.
- Unlimited names and items. Pro and Premier are normally limited at 14,500.
- Designed for larger data file sizes and network. Works faster over multiple users in a network.
- US-Based Tech support included with annual subscription.
- Ability to open 2 company files simultaneously.
- Ability to consolidate 2 or more company files into one consolidated financial statement.
- Advanced Inventory (Requires Platinum Edition): Bar Code Scanning, FIFO Inventory Costing, Bin Location, Multiple Location Tracking, Enhanced Receiving without Bill.
- Advanced Pricing (Requires Platinum Edition): Enterprise adds Price Rules, which supersedes Price Levels, and also adds advanced pricing functionality, including expiring discounts, quantity discounts, and package conditional pricing.
- Shortage Report for inventory assemblies missing components
- Enhanced Inventory Receiving separates the receiving process from the accounts payable process, which is great to maintain separation of the receipt date of inventory from the bill date.
- Sales Rep and Custom Fields to Bills, Checks, and Credit Card Charges allows a true profit by Sales Rep report.
- Maximum stock levels in addition to Min allows you to Auto Create PO’s that allows for the automation of purchase users based on the minimum and maximum inventory levels.
- Adjust Margin and Mark-up per item allows for cost changes to automatically update the sales price using the pre-fixed margin or mark-up.
- Assign a Default Class to a Name, Item, or Account.
- Pending Builds Assemblies and easily swap an item that is used in any assemblies.
- Disallow Negative Inventory with a built-in mechanism to prevent the user from creating a transaction that triggers a negative inventory. Also includes a Negative Item Listing Report.
- Disallow sales to overdue customers.
- Disallow user from entering opening balances when creating new customers, vendors, and/or items.
- Show Item cost on sales transactions.
- Search Within Transactions and sort columns within groups.
- Ability to show a subtotal for quantity and numerical custom fields within transactions.
- Label Printer Support allows printing labels on single roll continuous labels, instead of being limited to regular printers only.
- Find and Select Items: Very fast way to search for an item by name or description within a sales form, ex: an Invoice.
- Advanced Reporting add-on allows unlocking most of our QuickBooks data to create very customizable reports using QlikView technology.
QuickBooks Enterprise Gold has all the features of Enterprise Silver plus
- Enhanced QuickBooks Payroll Service (a $600/year value)
QuickBooks Enterprise Platinum has all the features of Enterprise Gold plus
- Advanced Pricing: supersedes Price Levels from Premier and QBES Silver/Gold, and also adds advanced pricing functionality, including expiring discounts, and package conditional pricing.
- Volume Discounts: you can set a different price table based on quantities being sold
- Bar Code Scanning Support: you can connect a USB (wired or Bluetooth/wireless) barcode scanner to receive item and invoice items
- FIFO Inventory Costing: QuickBooks by default uses average costing for inventory, with QBES Platinum you can set FIFO as your costing mechanism
- Multiple Inventory Sites: you can track inventory in multiple sites and create transfers between the sites
- Bin location Tracking: you can track inventory based on sub-locations within an inventory site
- Mobile Phone (Android) and Mobile Scanner Support: you can sync your open sales order data to a mobile device to manage the inventory picking process wirelessly, using an MC40 device you can also scan the items in order to confirm a pick
- NEW for 2019 – Pick/Pack/Ship Status Support for Sales Orders and mobile scanner support for status updating
- NEW for 2019 – Receive PO’s with the mobile app and mobile scanner
- NEW for 2019 – Perform Inventory Cycle Counts with the mobile app and mobile scanner